Home at last.

27 Sep 2017 in Match Reports

Home at last. Home at last.

Unbeaten run extended with a Mike Moss strike.

It was great to be back at the ArkFleetech Stadium after all the away games and travelling involved in the season so far. The new playing surface looked great, as did the new floodlights, and the ground was a credit to the many hours spent on its upkeep by our volunteers and committee. 


We went into this game looking to bounce back after our 3-2 FA Vase defeat to Litherland REMYCA at the weekend, another game which we bossed for long periods and played the quality football that has become associated with Mark Howard's side, without getting the reward we deserved. 


We are still without Grant Marshall, who will be available from next week, Andy Bainbridge was missing due to university commitments, Dan Havern, Tom Hughes and finally Craig Schumann pulled a hamstring in the warm-up ! We are still trying to find out who walked under the ladder in close season ! 


After an even first few minutes, Chaddy seemed to get caught not in the headlights, but the floodlights and conceded from a corner on our left. The ball came over and Dennis Sheriff reacted faster than the Chaddy defence 0-1. 

After 12 mins New Mills caught us napping again and fired a very good chance over. This, and the reaction from the Chaddy bench seemed to wake us up and we went forward now only for Mike Moss to be flagged offside after a good run from the again impressive Luke Heron. We again let New Mills in on 20 minutes when a cross from our left found a Millers striker unmarked on the right but fortunately he fired over Mike Smith's bar. 

There followed a period where both teams were attacking in end to end football, culminating on 32 minutes when Luke Heron was just beaten to the ball by the New Mills keeper and 2 minutes later saw the lively Mike Moss get himself clear through only to be flagged offside by the linesman. On the stroke of half-time Vinny Howell went through and unselfishly looked to set Mike Moss up but the pass was intercepted and went for a corner who was cleared. HT : 0-1 


Clearly Tank & Hulmey's half time talk had its effect as Chaddy came out with the bit between their teeth and attacked New Mills. After 50 minutes Luke Heron picked up the ball from a defensive mistake and set up MIKE MOSS who levelled the game 1-1. 2 minutes later Vinny Howell had the ball in the net to put Chaddy in front, but the linesman had seen an offside and controversially ruled the strike out. Chadderton were now camped in the New Mills half for long periods and a header was saved from Mike Moss on the hour, and the hugely impressive Dom Welsby went close on 72 minutes with a lovely shot that curled just past the keepers right hand post. Seconds later Gaz Hill went close after a cross from the left . New Mills now had their only serious attack of the half which resulted in a corner, with the resulting header going close but being cleared by the Chaddy defence. 

On 78 minutes Mark Howard made a change going for the 3 points, off came Vinny Howell who had worked hard all night and on came Leon Iluobe to run at the New Mills defence with his power and pace. Leon was dangerous running at the Miller's defence who were now backs to the wall as Chaddy came at them. 86 minutes came the final change when Nathan Chorlton who had a very good game at right back, came off for Devon Matthews to join the attack and push forward. Devon is an cultured defender but he showed he can push forward and made several dangerous runs that threatened the New Mills defence. The final minutes of injury saw Chaddy press and press again, with the keeper getting to the ball a fraction before Mike Moss, Luke Heron just failing to connect form a Leon Iluobe cross and then reversing roles as Luke set Leon up who shot just wide. It was a breathless finish, with Chaddy just running out of time as the New Mills defence was put under attack after attack in the closing minutes. FT 1-1 ATT : 110 


We extended our unbeaten league run to 3 games with a home game to come  on Saturday against Holker, a chance to make it 4. Mark Howard's very young and clearly talented side again showed that they are a skilful, passing side who aren't getting the rub of the green at the moment in front of goal as seen in the decision to rule out Vinny Howell's goal, and losing an important player like Craig Schumann just before kick-off was a blow on the night. No heads go down and they are most importantly creating chances and these will produce more goals. Mike Moss moves onto 6 goals in 9 games now, a terrific ratio shared by Luke Heron. Success stories are all over the pitch with young players, several only teenagers, showing that they are more than capable of performing at this level. 




the other Mark. 



Older Newer